Super Mario 3D All-Stars is out now, and, with that, you may be looking to collect every Power Star in Super Mario 64‘s Whomp’s Fortress.
You can enter Whomp’s Fortress through the enchanted painting in the room behind the door that requires 1 Power Star on the right-hand side of the main hall in Princess Peach’s castle.
Whomp’s Fortress Star 1: Chip Off Whomp’s Block
Much like Bob-omb Battlefield this Power Star requires you to make your way to the top of the course and face off against a boss, in this case Whomp King. The trick to taking out this giant slab of rock is to avoid his attack that sees him slam down face first on the ground. This will leave his back exposed where you’ll then need to ground pound. Do this three times to defeat Whomp King and reveal the Power Star.
Whomp’s Fortress Star 2: To the Top of the Fortress
Head back to where you took on Whomp King and you’ll now find another tower to climb. You’ll need to avoid homing Bullet Bills and time your jumps to avoid falling off the extending and retracting ledges. Ride the final platform to the top of the fortress to grab the Power Star.
Whomp’s Fortress Star 3: Shoot into the Wild Blue
A tricky one this that resulted in many a fail my first time trying for this Power Star. Head over the area with the shallow water (reachable by climbing the tree right at the start of the course and leaping over the wall) and head over to the pink Bob-omb. Talk to him and climb into the cannon. Now you’ll want to aim below the flag pole and at the back-left pillar (of four) of the platform. If done correctly Mario should smack into this pillar rather than overshoot and fall of the course. Slide down the pole for the Power Star.
Whomp’s Fortress Star 4: Red Coins on the Floating Isle
Eight more Red Coins to find:
- You’ll find a coin ahead from the starting point above the blocks trying to push you off.
- Just beyond make your way up the giant steps and above the second blue Thwomp.
- Behind a Piranha Plant just beyond the Thwomps.
- On a narrow ledge beyond the last red coin.
- Just beyond the narrow ledge you’ll find a spinning platform. The red coin is on the left.
- Just below the last red coin you’ll see a slope that takes you down to the shallow water area. On that slope is a red coin.
- Climb to where you fought Whomp King and jump over to the floating platforms. The first is on a green circular platform.
- You’ll also find another red coin on a square brick platform.
Whomp’s Fortress Star 5: Fall onto the Caged Island
This one is located high above the stage and requires a little help. Climb the tree right at the beginning of the course to force Hoot to fly out. Grab onto him and let go just as you pass over the cage housing the Power Star.
Whomp’s Fortress Star 6: Blast Away the Wall
Head back to the cannon and jump in only this time aim toward the right where you’ll see two large walls. Target the corner of the farthest wall and fire Mario to break away the wall and reveal the Power Star. Jump back into the cannon and fire back over to grab the Power Star.
Whomp’s Fortress Star 7: Collect 100 Coins
This is as simple as it sounds. You will need to collect 100 Coins in Whomp’s Fortress, at which point the Power Star will appear wherever you secure the final Coin.
Super Mario 3D All-Stars is now available exclusively at retail and on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide.
More Super Mario 64 Guides
- Every Power Star in Bob-omb Battlefield
- Every Power Star in Cool, Cool Mountain
- Every Power Star in Jolly Roger Bay
- Every Power Star in Big Boo’s Haunt
- Every Power Star in Hazy Maze Cave
- Every Power Star in Lethal Lava Land
- Every Power Star in Shifting Sand Land
- Every Power Star in Dire, Dire Docks
- Every Power Star in Snowman’s Land
- Every Power Star in Wet-Dry World
- Every Power Star in Tall, Tall Mountain
- Every Power Star in Tiny-Huge Island
- Every Power Star in Tick Tock Clock
- Every Power Star in Rainbow Ride