Nintendo has revealed the Nintendo Switch (OLED Model), the portable home console’s latest hardware revision that comes packed with a “vibrant” 7-inch OLED screen, a wide adjustable stand, a dock with a wired LAN port, 64 GB of internal storage and enhanced audio.
Set to release on Friday 8th October – the same day as Metroid Dread – the Nintendo Switch (OLED model) will have “a similar overall size to the Nintendo Switch console, but with a larger, vibrant 7-inch OLED screen with vivid colours and high contrast.”
You can also use the console’s “wide adjustable stand” when playing in Tabletop mode, the “onboard speakers with enhanced audio for handheld and tabletop play,” and all previously released Joy-Con controllers will be compatible.
Nintendo Switch (OLED model) will let users experience enhancements in all three play modes:
- TV mode: Place the Nintendo Switch (OLED model) console into the dock to play Nintendo Switch games on the TV. By using the built-in wired LAN port, users can enjoy another way to connect online in TV mode.
- Tabletop mode: Flip the stand on the back of the console and use the console’s screen to play multiplayer games using the two included Joy-Con controllers right out of the box. The wide adjustable stand makes for a solid and sturdy foundation. It also allows players to freely tilt the console with more range on the viewing angle, so it’s easier to see the screen.
- Handheld mode: Users can bring the console wherever they go in handheld mode and play local or online multiplayer with friends. The 7-inch OLED screen provides vivid colour and high contrast.
When the console launches, it will come in two colour options:
- Nintendo Switch (OLED model) white set, which features White Joy-Con controllers, a black main unit and a white dock.
- Nintendo Switch (OLED model) neon red/neon blue set, which features Neon Red and Neon Blue Joy-Con controllers, a black main unit and a black dock.
The Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) will retailers worldwide on 8th October 2021, priced at £309.99 ($349.99).