Set within the TRON universe, an unprecedented crime has been committed in a new Grid that has been forgotten by its creator and left alone to evolve without User intervention. The Repository is at the centre of this society, and, in the aftermath of a break-in, the Grid’s future hangs in the balance.
The adventure follows the detective program Query, which has been tasked with uncovering the secrets behind the mystery of what was taken and by whom. In a world built on unstable foundations and filled with whispered knowledge, you must question suspects and investigate your surroundings to learn the truth.
Your decisions will actively influence the story which has “a multitude of possible outcomes,” based on the words that you choose. With intriguing characters to interact with, you must decide whether to “ally with them, spurn them or even derezz them” – recovering their lost memories in your search for answers while puzzling your way through defragging Identity Discs.
“TRON is an iconic story for so many. Its striking aesthetic, the fantastical world and, of course, its heroic game designer protagonist, were formative for me. I am immensely grateful for this opportunity to stand on the shoulders of generations of artists, and work with my amazing team to create new stories on an exciting new Grid,” explains creative director Mike Bithell. “With Disney, we’ve created a space where players can tell this story alongside us via meaningful choices and interesting puzzles.”
Disney, Pixar and 20th Century Games vice president Luigi Priore adds: “With the release of TRON: Identity as the first title in our collaboration with Bithell Games for a new TRON storyline, we’re thrilled to invite fans into this new expanded world filled with deep exploration and an engrossing story. Driven by player choice, and filled with challenging puzzles, TRON: Identity is a distinct expression of the universe and an exciting addition to our growing roster of original, immersive games.”
The developer has outlined the game’s key features as below:
- A new extension of the TRON franchise: Unlock a never-before-seen server filled with new, original programs to join forces with or oppose.
- Beautiful, hand-crafted character art: Watch the story come to life through detailed, uniquely designed characters.
- Rich world-building and storytelling: In a brand-new Grid with its own nuanced structure, there is much to discover about the programs and places around you.
- Reveal memories: The truth of the case is hidden in the Identity Discs of those around you. Defrag their Discs to navigate the complex path to a solution in these unique puzzles.
- One mystery, many endings: Your choices will determine the outcome you see, with a protagonist that lets you take the reins and doesn’t corner you into one approach.
- Developed by the award-winning team behind Thomas Was Alone and Subsurface Circular: Brought to you by a team steeped in sci-fi stories, we are incredibly excited to share this game with you.
TRON: Identity is now available digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide.