Promising to take a well-known genre and give it a unique twist, you play as the architect of a SteamWorld mining town and must break ground and raise houses for your steambot citizens.
Challenged to construct a thriving town above ground while mining resources and dealing with the monsters that lurk below it, you will need to keep your loyal citizens fed while providing “some rootin’-tootin’ entertainment.”
With the abandoned mine rumoured to be filled with ancient tech that holds the key to escaping impending doom, the natural resources that you recover above ground and the abundant ores buried below it can be used to expand your town. Digging ever deeper, you will ultimately discover what you need to help the town leave the planet.
The developer has simultaneously created the game on PC and console to make sure that its design, user experience and user interface “work just as well with a controller in hand, as they do with [a] mouse and keyboard.” Their hope is that their approach has resulted in a game that caters to both experienced players and those who are new to the city builder genre.
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features, which include:
- Set in the multi-award-winning SteamWorld Universe
- Build your own unique SteamWorld mining town
- Explore and develop an abandoned mine
- Manage and optimize increasingly complex resource chains
- Tackle the dangers you will encounter
- Experience five distinctive SteamWorld-inspired maps littered with secrets
- Three well-balanced difficulty levels to give a challenge to players of all abilities
SteamWorld Build will be released digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide on 1 December 2023.