Loomiarts and Fehorama Filmes are behind this fast-paced 2D shooter, which is set in the 1950s. After extraterrestrials known as the Vega Corporation visit Earth to provide unlimited resources so that the human race can endure, the darker side of their intentions soon rises to the surface leading to an uprising.
You will join Lieutenant Kaya and the rest of her squadron as they band together to stop the Vega Corporation and its ruthless leader, Director Zarog. Told through live-action black-and-white cutscenes with dubbed voice-over, you must face an onslaught of enemy spaceships to overcome 11 levels set against backdrops that include snowy mountains, hectic cityscapes and dense forests.
The points that you earn can be used to unlock new weapons and upgrades, and there’s the chance to invite a second player to join you at any time to take on and defeat the extraterrestrial threat.
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features as below:
- Classic gameplay: Squad 51 vs. The Flying Saucers is a SHOOT ‘EM UP! game with four different aircrafts to play and set up with special weapons.
- Cinematic experience: Glorious black-and-white aesthetics, live-action FMV sequences and dubbed voices will tell the story of the battle between the squadron and Director Zarog’s alien supremacy.
- 11 levels: Fight against enemy ships and bosses in many different environments – snowy mountains, forests, cityscapes, and many others.
- Dynamic difficulty: No matter if you’re a rookie or a veteran shooting star, Squad 51 vs. The Flying Saucers supports dynamic difficulty which allows every pilot to enjoy the fight.
- Multiplayer: Feeling lonely against Aliens? Invite a friend! A second player can enter a level any time. Earn points with your friend and unlock together new special weapons and upgrades.
Squad 51 vs. The Flying Saucers will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide in Fall 2022.