Dear Villagers and Retro Forge have confirmed a release date for Souldiers on Nintendo Switch.
“Souldiers merges 90s side-scrolling action/adventure games with more contemporary design principles,” explains Retro Forge creative director Alberto Hernández. “We wanted to capture the speed and legibility of the classic 2D Metroidvanias with the complex combat system of a more modern affair, letting players tailor their hero to their specific playstyle. We think it’s the perfect marriage of old and new and we can’t wait for everyone to play Souldiers when it comes out May 19th.”
You will play as either a scout, caster or archer, battling for your freedom in Terragaya – a mystical land on the borderline between life and death.
The developer has looked to wrap “Metroidvania exploration, crunchy Soulslike combat and precision platforming into one gorgeous pixelated package,” challenging you to outwit enemies, solve head-scratching puzzles, upgrade your character and explore the game’s 16-bit world.
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features as below:
- Choose Your Class: Unleash the fury of your sword with the scout, summon the wrath of elements with the caster, or rain down arrows on your foes with the archer.
- Gripping Combat: Slash, parry and dodge your way through an ever-evolving roster of enemies, upgrading your skills and equipment to find a combat style that’s perfect for you.
- An Interconnected World: Discover a sprawling handcrafted landscape filled with treasures, tough-as-nails bosses and secret pathways.
- 16-Bit Sensation: Terragaya comes to life with vibrant world-class pixel art packed to the brim with details.
- Smart Moves: Solve environmental puzzles and leap from place to place using an ever-expanding moveset.
Souldiers will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide on 19th May 2022.