Originally released for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System across Japan way back in 1992, the game was later remade for the PlayStation 2 which went on to launch in North America and Japan in 2005.
That has now been remastered for the portable home console, promising “a host of exciting new improvements and additions, including remastered graphics, new quality of life features to improve playability and new gameplay features.”
You will have the chance to follow the exploits of one of the game’s eight protagonists, who each have their own storyline and goal. However, their adventures will be unique, with each of their actions affecting the world around them, thanks to the Free-form Scenario system.
SaGa series aficionados can also expect the Glimmer and Combo systems from earlier games, beautifully illustrated designs and a whimsical soundtrack penned by composer Kenji Ito.
The publisher has outlined the new elements that have been added in this remastered version:
- The sorceress Aldora can now be recruited: The sorceress Aldora, who once travelled together with the legendary hero Mirsa, appears in her original form. Experience new events where she recounts the journeys of Mirsa first-hand.
- Unique and interesting characters now made playable: Fan-favourite Schiele finally joins your adventures and characters such as Marina, Monica and Flammar can now also be recruited.
- Enhanced bosses: Several bosses now appear as super powerful enhanced versions! Take on these terrifying adversaries to a new arrangement of the battle music score.
- Improved playability: Various new features have been added to make your play experience even more convenient, such as a high-speed mode, mini maps, and a “New Game +” option that lets you carry over your progress when you play through the game again.
- And even more: New classes to expand the breadth of gameplay.
Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song Remastered will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide on 1st December 2022.