Square Enix has announced that the Octopath Traveler II Prologue Demo is now available, news that was shared in this week’s Nintendo Direct presentation.
This will let you choose between any of the eight protagonists and play for three hours, with the chance to carry your save data over to the full game at launch.
Set in the world of Solistia, the team behind the original game – which has sold more than three million copies worldwide – is working on the sequel, which continues to improve upon the series’ standout HD-2D visuals.
You can expect a new storyline, characters and features which will “make it the perfect entry for newcomers to the series, while also preserving the charm of the original game for veteran players.”
That will once again offer the chance for you to follow the journey of eight protagonists – Hikari (Warrior), Agnea (Dancer), Partitio (Merchant), Osvald (Scholar), Throné (Thief), Temenos (Cleric), Ochette (Hunter), and Castti (Apothecary) – as they “explore the land and conquer enemies in strategic turn-based battles on an adventure all their own.”
The publisher has outlined the game’s new and returning gameplay features and elements:
- Break and Boost Battle System: Players must act strategically to exploit enemy weaknesses to “Break” them in order to inflict more damage, and “Boost” their travelers to enhance their abilities.
- Path Actions: Players can interact with NPCs throughout the world in various ways by using actions unique to each character. Path Actions will vary depending on the protagonist and whether it is day or night.
- Brand-New Story and Characters: Players can embark on a grand adventure in the new land of Solistia and experience the intertwined stories of eight new travelers: Hikari (Warrior), Agnea (Dancer), Partitio (Merchant), Osvald (Scholar), Throné (Thief), Temenos (Cleric), Ochette (Hunter), and Castti (Apothecary).
- Day/Night Cycle: The townscapes and Path Actions available to each character will change depending on if it is night or day, creating more opportunities for exploration and discovery.
- Latent Power: A new battle element in which characters can unleash a powerful ability once the ability’s gauge fills up during combat.
- Crossed Paths: Additional stories will unfold between the protagonists as their journey progresses, further intertwining their narratives.
Octopath Traveler II will release at retail and digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide on 24th February 2023.