Pitched as “an all-new original adventure in the acclaimed RPG franchise,” it promises to bring together the core combat and free-form scenario elements of the fan-favourite series “to deliver the ultimate SaGa experience to fans and newcomers alike.”
The game will have music from iconic series composer Kenji Ito and artwork from acclaimed illustrator Satoshi Kuramochi.
You will be able to choose to begin your story as one of the following protagonists, who each possess the rare ability to see emerald waves that present choices of their destinies:
- Tsunanori Mido: A man who can manipulate kugutsu, or animated puppets, which protect the barrier around his home, Miyako City. When the city is plagued by all kinds of supernatural phenomena, Tsunanori embarks on a journey to other worlds to find four elemental spirits in order to restore order to the spiritual realm.
- Ameya: A witch-in-training who visits Miyako City and lives in secret as a schoolgirl as a part of her graduation exam. After Ameya is attacked by an unknown man, she loses practically all of her magical power and must find a way to regain what was lost and pass her final exam.
- Siugnas: An immortal vampire who rules over Yomi, a world shrouded in darkness, as the Dismal King. However, after being betrayed and driven from his throne, Siugnas finds himself in Brighthome—the gathering place of dead warriors—and must set out on a journey to recover his powers alongside the other warriors in his squadron.
- Diva No.5: A songstress mech designed to sing and dance from the world of Avalon. After singing a forbidden song, however, Diva’s memory and singing functionality are sealed away, causing her to lose her livelihood and music itself. In her despair, Diva discards her “human” body and, going with the flow, accepts an invitation from a secret society, leaving Avalon behind.
- Bonnie and Formina: Two new recruits and partners on the Capitol City police force who are investigating an assassination attempt on the President. With a key person of interest’s claim that the president is a traitor and a mysterious triangle piece as their only clues, they set off on a journey through other worlds to uncover the hidden truth behind the incident.
With five “distinct and dramatic” stories to experience, there are 17 “strikingly beautiful” worlds to explore in which you will meet a diverse cast of races such as monsters, mechs and vampires as you forge your own story.
The free-form scenario system that the SaGa series has become known for has also been expanded, set to offer “the greatest amount of freedom” to shape your own story to date – each tale branching outwards based on your choices and actions.
SaGa Emerald Beyond will be released digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide in 2024.