Given an elevator pitch as “a tragicomic adventure with the sassy self-aware Operating System, OS9,” which is faced with being replaced by the far-better-optimized OS10.
You are an Update Assistant, who, tasked by the ominous Update Protocol to update the phone’s operating system, discovers that the buggy old OS9 is desperate to avoid removal and therefore has other plans for you.
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features as below:
- Clever puzzles: Review terminal errors in RAM, party in the Speakers’ exclusive nightclub, navigate through the Wi-Fi bureaucracy, and explore other areas of a smartphone.
- Cheat-codes to manipulate the environment: Hunt down or create bugs, trim binary trees, master music-controlled platforms, collect errors, and delete data using special cheat-codes.
- A variety of app-characters: Gossip with quirky pieces of software—the sassy Photos, the insecure Social Media F, or the neglected Health, among others—and uncover their distinct side stories.
- Numerous collectibles: Collect emails scattered about to discover a parallel story of the mysterious phone User.
- Unproductive and useless humor: Enjoy meta satirical humor and breaking the fourth wall.
Backfirewall_ will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide “later this year.”