Stepping into the shoes of the Caretaker of the Atari Vault, you are tasked with watching over a storehouse of “retro-tastic” Atari games. After a dead pixel appears one night, you discover that the vaulted games have started to warp, mutate and meld into a series of increasingly wild challenges.
Promising “a robust storyline told through a selection of 150 microgames,” each has incorporated Atari classics from the 1970s and ’80s golden era of gaming.
You will have to overcome killer combinations of Atari games, solve puzzles, complete challenges and beat the clock. With Atari easter eggs to discover along the way, as you advance you will complete runs of microgames in a randomly-generated order before tackling boss battles.
“As we celebrate Atari’s 50th Anniversary, Atari Mania gives fans a way to re-engage with their favorite Atari games and characters, while also introducing a new generation to the games that launched the industry,” enthuses Atari CEO Wade Rosen. “Atari Mania takes the elements of an Atari classic – incredibly fun, fast-twitch gameplay – and mixes them with the self-referential humor and over-the-top joy of a company celebrating five decades of amazing experiences.”
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features as below:
- Manic Mashups: Over 150 microgames inspired by the breadth of Atari’s decades-spanning catalog, from Asteroids to Yars’ Revenge. Fight back Centipedes with a Pong paddle while the iconic Adventure dragon hunts you down! It’s crossover madness in the best way possible!
- Excellent Exploration: Solve tricky puzzles and utilize clever tools to progress through the Vault and discover classically-inspired Atari Easter Eggs.
- Pixel-Perfect Pizzaz: A charming neo-retro art update to the classic Atari 2600 style is completed by a soundtrack of retro-inspired jams.
- Characters Like You’ve Never Seen Them Before: Go face to antennae with some of the greatest games and characters in video game history. Trust us — you’ll never think of Bentley Bear the same way again!
- Treasure Trove of Atari History: Collectibles abound, including vintage Atari art, posters, manuals, and fun facts. Fully playable versions of remastered Atari classics are unlocked by completing cheeky challenges.
Atari Mania will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide “later this year.”