This tennis simulator will look to deliver “authentic gameplay and an immersive tennis experience,” in which you will be challenged to top the tennis tables in tournaments and competitions around the world “by using the right tactics, intelligent player positioning, and utilizing authentic ball physics which are a central part of the gameplay.”
Promising “sophisticated character animations and unprecedented player control” to create realistic rallies, the game will offer “a dynamic and immersive gaming experience with an extensive career mode and a unique rivalry system.”
At launch, 16 tennis stars will be playable in Matchpoint: Tennis Championships which include the current number two in the world ranking list Danill Medvedev to other top ten world-ranked players such as Garbine Muguruza, Andrey Rublev, Casper Ruud and Hubert Hurkaczs and more renowned players beyond that.
Sports and fashion brands such as Uniqlo, Nike and Head will be integrated into the game and each player’s equipment, with the hope that it will help to “add an authentic atmosphere.”
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features as below:
- Start your journey in single-player or online multiplayer. A deep career mode featuring a merit-based ranking system allows for accurate and competitive matchmaking.
- Create your 3D tennis star. Choose your look, fashion, and play style with an array of customization options, including true-to-life techniques such as left-or right-handed, one-handed, or two-handed backhand.
- Dominate the court as a tennis professional. Matchpoint – Tennis Championships features 16 real-life international tennis stars from the professional circuit, including Nick Kyrgios, Kei Nishikori, and Amanda Anisimova.
- Fully customize your athlete and wearables. The game features gear from all of tennis’ name-brands, including UNIQLO, HEAD, and many more – giving players the chance to use their equipment, from rackets to clothing. Unlock special equipment by winning competitive matches.
- Master all strokes and shots in grand style. Determine the outcome of a rally by choosing the best technique for the time: topspin, flat, lob or slice shot.
- Take on opponents in local or online matches: Defeat challenging AI opponents or challenge your friends and rivals to a virtual tennis duel.
- Study your rival’s moves and tactics. Watch your opponents and get to know their strengths and weaknesses to gain a tactical advantage before you even hit the court.
- Practice makes perfect: Hire a personal coach to hone your skills. Enhance your strengths and diminish your weaknesses with an in-game coaching system of individual training modules.
- Fine-tune your tactics in Practice and Training modes: Jump into various mini-games to hone your perfect game and become a force to be reckoned with on the court.
- Compete in exhibition matches at spectacular venues around the globe. Each court has its unique characteristics; study your arenas of play and adapt your game to grass, clay, and hard courts.
- Replay mode. Capture your fiercest rallies and decisive matchpoints on film and study the outcomes to improve your game.
Matchpoint: Tennis Championships will release at retail and digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide in Spring 2022.