Nintendo has released a software update for Mario Strikers: Battle League – known as Mario Strikers: Battle League Football in Europe – which now sees the game on version 1.3.0.
This is the third and final free content update for the game, adding Bowser Jr. and Birdo as playable characters, the Urban Rooftop stadium and the Shellfish gear set.
There is also a new Quick Chat feature that has been added to online gameplay and a new Match Settings rule that limits Question Blocks that appear to those with your team’s colour, along with other game balances and bug fixes.
This latest game in the Mario Strikers series challenges you to tackle, pass and score with the Mushroom Kingdom gang in Strike, a five-on-five, football-like sport with no rules in which you can do whatever it takes to win.
Stopping at nothing to score, you will need to tackle your rivals, use items and pull off score-boosting special shots, with the chance to customise your characters with gear that can augment their stats and appearance.
There’s the chance to “pummel the pitch” with up to eight players on one Nintendo Switch system, with local wireless play or online. In local play, four players on each team face each other on opposing teams. You can also join an online club with up to 20 players online, with which you will compete against other clubs for points to increase your rank and strive to become the world’s top club each season.
We enjoyed our time with the game, however, concluded in our review: “Mario Strikers: Battle League Football plays a mean game of soccer, proving to be just as much fun, chaotic and satisfying as its predecessors. Unfortunately, what surrounds it is a package that feels light on content and options limiting it from reaching the dizzying heights of the series’ best. As a result, Mario’s latest sports outing is a solid goal rather than a full-blown hattrick.”
Mario Strikers: Battle League is now available at retail and digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide.
Mario Strikers: Battle League Update Version 1.3.0 Patch Notes
- Added “Bowser Jr.” as a playable character.
- Added “Birdo” as a playable character.
- Added the “Urban Rooftop” stadium.
- Added the “Shellfish” gear set.
- Added “Quick Chat” feature to online gameplay. You can now select from four preset messages during each of the onscreen phases to communicate with all players in the match.
- Added a rule to “Match Settings” that limits ? Blocks that appear during a match to only Team-Colored ? Blocks.
- Made other adjustments to game balance and fixed other issues to improve the gameplay experience.