Pitched as “a story-driven love letter to 1980s Americana,” after the mysterious Greed threatens a small middle-American town it falls to a rag-tag band of brave kids to overcome seemingly insurmountable odds to save their families, their neighbourhood and their town.
This is the next game within the popular Kingdom series, with the developer promising to “surprise experienced players, newcomers to the series, as well as anyone that remembers sitting around in their pyjamas on a Saturday morning in front of the television.”
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features, which include:
- A Step Into the Kingdom Franchise: Kingdom Eighties builds on the series’ well-known world and mechanics with a new experience perfect for newcomers to learn the ropes and fall in love with the franchise.
- Befriend Your Trusty Companions: Join forces with three supporting characters who will lend you their aid on your journey: the Champ, the Tinkerer, and the Wiz. Each has different abilities you can combine to progress through the game.
- Hit the Streets in Style: Explore new urban locations never before seen in a Kingdom game. Find fresh wheels at the skateboard park, visit the shops on Main Street, and free the New Lands Mall from the Greed.
- Live for the Summer: Kingdom’s iconic, handcrafted, pixel-art magic is back with a distinctively ‘80s neon feel. Vibe to an original synthwave soundtrack from Andreas Hald, and travel back to the wonder days of bike rides and summer camp, when anything seemed possible!
- Brand-New ‘Survival Mixtapes’ Mode: Press play on the mixtape in the pause menu and get ready for heart-pounding survival gameplay. Try your luck beating endless waves of Greed to earn yourself a crown – how many days will you last?
Kingdom Eighties will be released digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch on 16 October 2023.