Pitched as a wholesome game that “combines the best of the JRPG, farming, and monster taming genres with life-sim elements,” after moving to take care of a farmstead in Clover Town you are introduced to Blobs which changes your life forever.
These “cute, wobbly and rotund creatures” hatch from eggs, which, once treated with care, can become your greatest companions. Not only can they help you out around your farm with their unique abilities, they can also fight in battles against rival Blob trainers.
As your build your relationship with the locals and town, Clover Town’s secrets will unlock before you to reveal hidden temples, dungeons and portals to exotic dimensions – each containing strange items and priceless artifacts that hold the key to the town and your own future.
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features as below:
- Blobs: Blobs hatch from eggs and it’s up to you to train them! To make your blobs stronger, you need to feed them well and give them lots of love! Pay attention to their favourite foods, and play with them often to deepen your bond! They come in many colors and shapes, and can be of the Forest, Storm or Magma type. In the world of Ova Magica, people live side by side with these cute creatures, and you can raise them to be strong, loyal friends and sidekicks! To make your blobs stronger, you must feed them well, pet them and use specific skills in battles. Your blobs can also help you with your farm work. As your blobs become stronger and more skilled, you can ask them to perform certain scheduled tasks for you to increase your productivity! For example, you can ask the turtle blob to take care of a section of your farm to water it every day. But be careful! Don’t overwork them or take advantage of them… and if they get hungry, they won’t work!
- Farming: You can grow everything from normal crops, berry bushes, and fruit trees, to heart fruit, weird herbs, and mushrooms from other dimensions! From your harvest you can cook high-quality food for your blobs to help them grow healthy and strong. Or alternatively, test your skills as a trader and sell them on the local market in Clover Town!
- Bachelor(ette)s: You can make friends and build relationships with different characters. Talking, battling and gifting increases your friendship and unlocks new events, places and more. There are wonderful stories you can experience! Through conversations, gifts and blob battles you can increase your friendship. This will unlock numerous events and quests that will let you get to know the characters better!
- Battle System: Fight against other trainers and wild blobs. Experience a strategic Active Time Battle system with a little twist! Attacks throw you back to the ATB bar and can even cancel your current action. Think carefully when it’s time to defend, and when to attack. Also be sure to plan to use the right skill type to gain elementary advantages!
- Expedition: To find rare blob eggs, legendary items, and rare crafting materials, you’ll need to go on expeditions into the blob worlds. You can summon portals by placing an item on the altar! These dungeons change every time you enter them! In the end, a strong blob Emperor boss guards the rare eggs. A tough battle awaits you!
- Breeding: Grow stronger and unique blobs! You can crossbreed all blobs! Create your dream team and become the strongest trainer.
- Activities: Enjoy many wholesome activities and things to do around Clover Town! You can work on your fishing skills, or catch some bugs. Mine some ore to build a few parts for your juicing machine, or perhaps you’d like to pop by the Blob League to get the latest news on the latest tournaments?
- Crafting: Gather resources to create new items with the workbench and decorate your farm and home! On your adventures, you’ll find many blueprints to decorate your farm and home! Some of these will help you to refine or process materials you couldn’t before, like the furnace or juicer, or grow exotic and weird new crops, help your productivity or just let you relax in comfort!
Ova Magica will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide in 2023.