Pitched as an “action exploration odyssey,” playing as Ardeshir, a soldier of the Enduring Flame, you will be challenged to repel a nefarious mist that has enshrouded the ancient isle of Nahran.
You will come to rely on fire to extinguish the sinister forces that have overtaken Ardeshir’s native land and uncover the secrets that it hides. Flame can be used to ward off the Mist, ignite the surrounding scenery, turn on machinery, and burn beings of dark magic who are otherwise impervious to conventional weaponry. However, you cannot breathe in the Mist and must use your wits to keep it at a safe distance.
“Reception to Nocturnal from Steam Next Fest and PAX East was super positive, so we’re thrilled that people can finally play the full game,” enthuses Sunnyside Games co-founder Gabriel Sonderegger. “We wanted Nocturnal to effortlessly flow between fast, frenetic action and hair-raising tension, with your constantly depleting host of light sources. It’s a thrilling balancing act that we think platforming fans will really get a kick out of.”
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features, which include:
- Fight for your home island of Nahran: As a soldier of the Enduring Flame, you must uncover the mystery of what happened to your order, battling any who stand between you and your goal: to free the island from the Darkness.
- A deadly Mist: Something sinister cloaks the island of Nahran, and whatever dwells within it devours everything in its path. To discover its source and bring an end to this chaos, you must fearlessly wade into the Mist’s depths. But be warned: one cannot survive in the Mist for long…
- Awaken the guardian of the Enduring Flame that sleeps in you: As the Mist is your enemy, Fire will be your ally in your journey. Flame can ward off the Mist, ignite the scenery, turn on machinery, and be used to burn beings of dark magic impervious to conventional weaponry.
- Explore the island and its secret places: The Mist covers a vast expanse and hides powerful abilities for those willing to explore its mysteries. Gain ashes by killing enemies and exploring your environment and make an offering to the Phoenix statues to give you new abilities and stat boosts you need to survive.
- Speed-run mode: Speed run options are available. You can select those to improve your speed-run time.
Nocturnal will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide on 7 June 2023.