With Lauren Faust behind the roster’s character designs, you will battle it out in the episodic Story Mode, Arcade and Local Versus Modes or have the chance to practice in Tutorial and Training Modes before competing against the world in many online matchmaking features – which are confirmed to have GGPO rollback netcode.
It was also revealed that a Season 1 Pass will add four new fighters, stages and cosmetics, which will be included in the Deluxe Edition or as a separate digital upgrade. Maximum Games will also produce a physical edition for the Them’s Fightin’ Herds Deluxe Edition (£34.99), which is now available to pre-order on the Maximum Games Store.
The publisher has outlined the game’s combat features and modes as below:
- 4-Button Fighting – A (Light), B (Medium), C (Heavy), D (Magic).
- Magic System – Emphasize your character’s special abilities through a dedicated button and unique resource.
- Enhanced Super Attack – Spend an additional bar of meter during your super for a bonus utility effect.
- Juggle Decay – An infinite-prevention system that increases a character’s gravity the longer they stay in a combo, managing combo length without imposing hard limits.
- Dynamic Music System – Rockin’ character themes adapt in the heat of the battle to make every fight feel like a clash of champions.
- Rollback Netcode – Battle across the globe with little to no input delay with the power of GGPO.
- Local Versus and Online Matchmaking – Play at home or fight worthy opponents on-demand.
- Tutorial and Training Modes – Learn the ropes with guided tutorials, or practice on your own with a fully-featured, data-rich training room.
- Sharable Combo Trials – Test your skills with premade combo trials or create your own challenges and share with friends!
- Replay System – Record your matches then review every detail frame-by-frame!
- Pixel Lobby – Join our visual lobby system which lets players freely explore and interact in a top-down themed environment with nostalgic style. Customize your avatar with cosmetic items earned through play!
- Salt Mines – Hidden within each Pixel Lobby, a contest that pits players against waves of NPC predators and each other, combining dungeon crawl with fighting game.
- Story Mode – An episodic adventure filled with exploration, combat challenges, minigames, and boss fights! Each chapter follows one character’s personal quest to recover a magical, legendary key that will save the world from the return of vicious predators, banished in an age past. Chapter 1 (starring Arizona) is available now, with subsequent chapters to be released in the months following, free of charge.
Them’s Fightin’ Herds will release at retail and digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide in Autumn 2022.