WayForward is the developer behind this new entry in the legendary series, which will deliver “a thorough reimagining of the classic run ‘n’ gun action game from the ’80s.”
That has seen the original game be treated to modern graphics and sound, new stages, new enemies and bosses, new play mechanics, an updated weapons system and co-op for up to two players in Story Mode or four players in Arcade Mode.
After the Red Falcon terrorist group invades the Galulga Islands off the coast of New Zealand, elite Contra commandos Bill Rizer and Lance Bean spring into action – initiating an all-out war in which mankind’s fate hangs in the balance.
You must run, jump and shoot your way through eight levels, unleashing a devastating arsenal that includes the spread shot, laser and homing missiles. These now have stackable upgrades and “awesome” Overload abilities.
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features, which include:
- The original run-‘n’-gun game is back, reimagined and more action-packed than ever!
- Attack aggressively across eight explosive stages! Infiltrate the jungle, ascend the waterfall, speed through an enemy base on a hovercycle, and more!
- Multiple playable characters with distinct abilities!
- Epic, screen-filling boss battles!
- New and fan-favourite weapons, now with stackable upgrades and incredible Overload abilities!
- Multiple difficulty options and a wealth of extra content
Contra: Operation Galuga will be released digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide in early 2024.