NACON and Big Ant Studios have revealed that Cricket 22: The Official Game of The Ashes is releasing soon on Nintendo Switch.
Building on Cricket 19, the developer has looked to “deliver the most robust, substantial game of cricket that fans have ever seen.”
You will have the chance to participate in the “perennial favourite” Ashes competition, Australia’s Big Bash T20 competition, The Hundred and the CPL in the Caribbean, with the chance to play internationally with fully-licensed teams from Australia, England, The West Indies, New Zealand and Ireland.
In keeping with the developer’s “commitment to equality and equal representation,” both the Men’s and Women’s games have been replicated across the whole experience.
The publisher has broken down the game’s innovations, which have been “driven by fan feedback,” as below:
- All-new bowling and fielding controls: Whether it’s a feisty fast bouncer, or the satisfying “snap” as you hurl the ball from the infield for a precision run-out, Cricket 22 features refined, tight controls that enable you to play your best game of cricket.
- A deep, narrative-driven career mode: You are in control on and off the field. You manage your training and press conferences, deal with injuries, and decide your path towards international glory!
- It’s the most accessible cricket game yet: New to Cricket? Cricket 22 makes it easier to get into the game than ever before, with a completely overhauled series of tutorials and first-time user experience. Cricket 22 is the most detailed simulation of the sport that Big Ant has ever created, and thanks to these tutorials we’ll have you out there batting and bowling like a pro in no time.
- An all-new commentary team: Cricket 22 brings a star-studded commentary team, featuring Michael Atherton, Ian Healy, Mel Jones, Alison Mitchell and David Gower. Every shot will be called with greater depth and analysis than ever before, and for the first time ever in a sports game, there will be an all-women commentary team, further deepening the representation of women in the Cricket 22 experience.
- The best-looking cricket ever: Cricket 22 takes full advantage of the capabilities of the latest generation of hardware. Not only does the game load with blinding speed, getting you into the action more quickly than ever before, it also includes a full suite of visual updates, including incredible real-time ray tracing elements, providing the most visually realistic game of cricket ever seen.
“The number of cricket fans that have been asking us about our next-generation cricket plans has been overwhelming,” explains Big Ant Studios CEO Ross Symons. “We’re incredibly excited by what we’re able to bring to the table with Cricket 22. This is our fifth cricket simulation title, and it really represents the cumulation of everything that we’ve learned on this ten-year (and counting) journey. We have the most passionate fans, and we can’t wait to get this into their hands.”
ECB sales and marketing director Russell James adds: “We are thrilled to be partnering with Big Ant again for the hugely exciting Cricket 22 game. Cricket is a game for everyone and whether taking on the challenge of playing an Ashes Test or facing the best men’s and women’s white ball cricketers in the world in The Hundred, Cricket 22 has everything cricket fans could want.”
Cricket Australia CEO, Nick Hockley adds: “Cricket Australia is proud to partner once again with Australian game developer Big Ant Studios to bring such a visually realistic video game to our passionate fans. The Ashes is one of the greatest rivalries in world sport and we can’t wait to bring the game of cricket to new audiences via Cricket 22.”
Cricket 22 will release at retail and on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide in January 2022.