You will play as either a scout, caster or archer, battling for your freedom in Terragaya – a mystical land on the borderline between life and death.
The developer has looked to wrap “Metroidvania exploration, crunchy Soulslike combat and precision platforming into one gorgeous pixelated package,” challenging you to outwit enemies, solve head-scratching puzzles, upgrade your character and explore the game’s 16-bit world.
“Retro Forge was born out of a love for all things classic and nostalgic,” explains Retro Forge Games creative director Alberto Hernández. “Souldiers is like our personal tribute to the games we all grew up with. I can’t wait for more people to see it!”
Dear Villagers head of publishing Guillaume Jamet adds: “Souldiers is shaping up to be a super special part of our catalogue. It’s beautiful and engrossing. I feel very fortunate to be working with such talented folks.”
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features as below:
- Choose Your Class: Unleash the fury of your sword with the scout, summon the wrath of elements with the caster, or rain down arrows on your foes with the archer.
- Gripping Combat: Slash, parry and dodge your way through an ever-evolving roster of enemies, upgrading your skills and equipment to find a combat style that’s perfect for you.
- An Interconnected World: Discover a sprawling handcrafted landscape filled with treasures, tough-as-nails bosses and secret pathways.
- 16-Bit Sensation: Terragaya comes to life with vibrant world-class pixel art packed to the brim with details.
- Smart Moves: Solve environmental puzzles and leap from place to place using an ever-expanding moveset.
Souldiers will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide in Spring 2022.