Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon don’t promote the Island Scan feature particularly well, but it soon proves to be an invaluable tool to battle and catch Pokémon that aren’t typically found in the Alola region.
Before you can use Island Scan, players must first accumulate 100 points by scanning QR Code patterns using the QR Scanner. These can be earned by scanning either an Alola Pokédex QR Code, Wonder QR Code, or Special QR Code, which reward you with 10 points, 10 points, and 20 points respectively.
The Alola Pokédex QR Code patterns are displayed in your Pokédex whenever you catch a Pokémon, any QR Code pattern that you discover in the real world will count as a Wonder QR Code, while Special QR Code patterns are specific to a particular Pokémon – such as the Magearna QR Code pattern.
When you have 100 points, select Island Scan and hold the R or A button to see the tool detect a rare Pokémon. You should then head to the location, and search for the silhouetted Pokémon as soon as possible.
The Pokémon that appears will depend on the island you are exploring and which day of the week it is:
All Pokémon Found With Island Scan In Pokémon Sun And Pokémon Moon
More Pokémon Sun and Moon Guides:
- All Legendary Pokémon Locations In Pokémon Sun And Moon
- All Mega Stone Locations In Pokémon Sun And Moon
- All Photo Spot Locations In Pokémon Sun and Moon
- All Team Skull Secret Passwords In Pokémon Sun And Moon
- All TM Locations In Pokémon Sun And Moon
- All Z-Crystal Locations In Pokémon Sun And Moon
- All Zygarde Cell Locations In Pokémon Sun And Moon
- All Zygarde Core Locations In Pokémon Sun And Moon
- How To Catch Necrozma In Pokémon Sun And Moon
- How To Catch Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini And Tapu Lele In Pokémon Sun And Moon
- How To Catch Ultra Beasts In Pokémon Sun And Moon
- How To Get The Team Skull Tank In Pokémon Sun and Moon