Modus Games and Aurogon Shanghai have announced that their Metroidvania-inspired Afterimage is now available on Nintendo Switch.
Years after a cataclysm known as The Razing nearly brought an end to human civilization, mystic forces suddenly assaulted mankind’s remaining settlements.
In looking to investigate these attacks, an amnesiac girl called Renee wakes in the ruins of the city’s capital and sets out on a journey to rescue her mentor and discover the truth behind what’s happening – inexplicably setting into motion events that will determine the fate of the new world.
This hand-drawn 2D action adventure “emphasises fast-paced combat with diversified character, builds, non-linear levels and a gripping storyline,” created around a Metroidvania-like world with treacherous environments and challenging bosses. There are more than 200 pieces of equipment to collect, six different weapon classes to master and talent points to invest in multiple diverse skills.
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features, which include:
- Explore a non-linear world – unearth the secrets buried deep within the ruins of the vast interconnected world of Engardin. Interact with over 50 different NPCs, each with their own story and purpose. Learn more about their role in Engardin through side quests!
- Fight over 170 varieties of enemies, including 30 tough boss encounters.
- Deep RPG mechanics allow for diverse character builds – over 200 different equipment to collect and choose from including 6 classes of main weapon, sub weapon, armor and accessories. Invest talent points into a variety of stat upgrades and unique weapon skills for each class of weapon.
- Determine the fate of the world – discover multiple endings depending on Renee’s actions that will shape the future of Engardin.
- Stunning 2D art style with animations hand-drawn frame-by-frame.
- Discover new abilities and new Afterimages that grant unique benefits in your exploration and combat. Use these skills to access new areas, shortcuts, and master these in combat to defeat more difficult enemy encounters!
- Over 40 original orchestral tracks composed by the Aurogon Sound Team and fully recorded by International Master Philharmonic Orchestra and other various musicians.
Afterimage is now available digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide.