Sabotage Studio has shared a video message from legendary composer Yasunori Mitsuda, who is writing music for its upcoming retro-inspired turn-based RPG Sea of Stars which is coming to Nintendo Switch.
“I’m taking part in Sabotage Studio’s new work Sea of Stars. Actually, as a big fan of their previous work The Messenger, I couldn’t believe it when they contacted me about working with them,” Mitsuda explains.
“As a member of the Sea of Stars project, while creating my own style of music I’ve been exchanging ideas with Eric, the main composer. We’re aiming to give the game a unified feeling. Work is currently underway.
“One theme for the music this time is having a Super Nintendo-style sound, so I’m deliberately resampling the audio to capture that old-style sound. There is still some time before the game releases, but I hope everyone is looking forward to it.”
This is the next game from the developer behind The Messenger, which is set in the same universe. It will tell the story of the Children of the Solstice, introducing you to Valere and Zale who are fated to become Solstice Warriors. Their Sun and Moon powers combine allowing them to perform Eclipse Magic, with which they must fight the monstrous creations of an evil alchemist known as The Fleshmancer.
The developer has outlined the game’s features below:
- Engaging turn-based combat: Along with timed hits, combat features multi-character combo attacks, boosting, and a strategic “locks” system offering options to play with different damage types in order to hinder enemies while they are channeling powerful attacks or spells, all in an immersive take on the genre; no random encounters, no transitions to separate battlefields, and no grinding.
- Unshackled traversal: Swim, climb, vault, jump off or hoist up ledges as you traverse seamlessly through the world with a navigation system based on platformer expertise that breaks free from the classic bound-to-the-grid tileset movement.
- A story-rich adventure: Dozens of original characters and story arcs will take you on a captivating journey. Sometimes epic, sometimes silly, and other times emotional, Sea of Stars does its RPG duty of exploring classic themes of adventure and friendship, while also being chock-full of the unexpected twists and events you’d expect from a Sabotage production.
- A world you can touch: There are many ways to hang out in the world of Sea of Stars if you feel the need for a change of pace in your adventures. Sailing, cooking, fishing, stopping by a tavern to listen to a song or play the infamous tabletop game known as “Wheels”…..every system has been designed to deliver an experience that pays respect to retro classics, while rethinking in some areas to offer a smooth and modernized experience.
- Full-on dynamic lighting: Our custom-made render pipeline allows the creation of a breathtaking world coming to life by pushing the limits of 2D pixel-art games.
Sea of Stars will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide in Summer 2023.