Assemble Entertainment and Tiny Roar have shared a gameplay trailer for their “vibrant sci-fi Zelda-like” XEL, which is coming to Nintendo Switch.
Taking inspiration from The Legend of Zelda series, you will have the chance to explore “a beautiful overworld dotted with challenging dungeons in a classic, top-down, 3D action-adventure format in a rich, vivid palette.”
The game’s narrative follows an amnesiac protagonist called Reid, who finds herself shipwrecked on an enigmatic planet with no memory of her previous life. You will join her as she sets out to uncover the mystery behind the bizarre land, which is filled with secrets, puzzles and a “not-so-stable sense of time.”
Promising “an epic and heartwarming story filled with fantastical settings and memorable characters,” you will engage merciless robots in combat while finding and upgrading weapons, items, gadgets and moves – with some helping her jump through space and time.
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features as below:
- Sci-fi Dungeon Diving: The world of XEL features a vast, extensive overworld and challenging, Zelda-like dungeons to explore.
- A Deep Combat System: Become proficient at using a variety of attacks and combos, while dodging, and parrying to tackle and take out foes.
- Gadgets & Guns: Master and upgrade your weapons, shield, and gadgets to smash your foes and open up new areas to explore.
- Deep Lore and a Deeper Mystery: What exactly happened to this world, and who is responsible? Piece together a captivating story and dive into the legends behind the cryptic history XEL.
- Spacetime? Not a Problem: Unlock special abilities that allow Reid to bend the rules of space and time, granting her access to previously impassable areas and opening up new ways to defeat difficult enemies.
XEL will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide in Summer 2022.