PQube has announced that the immersive picture-book-styled visual novel ghostpia will release on Nintendo Switch this year.
The story follows Sayoko, the only foreigner in town who longs to return home. Sharing a room with the mysterious girl Yoru, she crosses an empty snowy desert in search of her hometown. However, does it exist? And can she remember what she has forgotten?
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features, which include:
- Kinetic gameplay: No branching routes or quick-time events, ghostpia is designed for you to sit back and sink into the storyline, enjoying it like a movie
- Dynamic Visual Novel: Explore a story filled with movement, animation and beautiful sounds that elevates the traditional visual novel experience. Full of intense emotion and themes of friendship, loneliness, and an endless revival
- Beautiful soundtrack and sound effects: The gentle music crafts the atmosphere of this snowy ghost town, drawing you into its world
- A dazzling Lo-fi aesthetic: Picture book styled illustrations and the option to turn glitch effects on or off
- An isolated town: Separated from the world by snow, this is a town where immortal “ghosts”, people who are unable to die, reside
- Lovable Characters: ghostpia is filled with strange and interesting characters, from the protagonist Sayoko to the mysterious Yoru
- Coming West for the First Time: Originally released on mobile and web browsers only in Japan
- A story of friendship: The struggles of friendships are the core of ‘ghostpia’, as Sayoko struggles to accept people into her life
- A brand-new version of the game: With new music, higher resolution illustrations and more complex animations
- Includes the complete five episodes of ‘ghostpia’ Season One
ghostpia will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide in 2023.