The game takes inspiration from 1990s horror and action movies, exploring the events behind Daymare 1998 “with a revamped user interface, meticulously designed setting, and hair-raising enemy encounters.”
The experience follows Dalila Reyes, a special agent in the Hexacore Advanced Division for Extraction and Search (H.A.D.E.S.) unit, who must investigate a sinister military research facility buried deep underground. Her goal is to survive long enough to uncover the truth behind the horrors in the labyrinthine facility.
With “mind-bending” environmental puzzles to overcome, she must face “blood-curdling monstrosities with only death on their mind” – coming to rely on guns aplenty and the powerful Frost Grip weapon that can freeze enemies where they stand.
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features as below:
- Uncover the dark events behind the story of Daymare 1998 and piece together the untold events that shaped its heroes;
- Test your wits against a horde of frightful – and frightfully intelligent – enemies;
- Fight for your life, as the monsters you put down refuse to give up their own;
- Scour every inch of the facility with your Scanner to find puzzle solutions, valuable resources for survival, and more;
- Tweak the difficulty to suit your experience with horror and action gameplay.
Daymare: 1994 Sandcastle will release at retail and digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide in October 2022.