Ubisoft’s Yves Guillemot says mature games don’t sell on Wii U

yves-guillemot-nintendo

We now know why Assassin’s Creed Rogue isn’t seeing a Wii U release, and presumably why Watch_Dogs was nearly cancelled for the console.

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot has reasoned that their mature games don’t fare very well on Wii U, with last year’s Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag having “sold in very small numbers.”

“It’s very simple. What we see is that Nintendo customers don’t buy Assassin’s Creed. Last year, we sold in very small numbers,” Guillemot discussed with Game Informer.

“What we see is that [consumers] are very interested in Just Dance, very interested by other kinds of games. So what we are trying to do is to focus more on the types of games they are interested in.”

The Wii U only accounted for 3 percent of the publisher’s FY14 sales, in stark contrast to platforms that populated the other 97 percent. While Watch_Dogs is still headed our way, Guillemot closes that “it will be the only mature game we publish on it.” So much for that, then.

Written by
After starting out with a Yellow Game Boy and a copy of Donkey Kong Land, Alex once hid in his room to play The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time one Christmas. Now he shares his thoughts on Nintendo Insider, keeping track of everything to do with Nintendo.

2 Comments

  1. Yeah ok. What Yves Guillemott failed to mention like others also forget is that the ports they do for their Wii U games are always lacking in content. I played assassin’s creed on both the 360 and the U. Even though the U is a lot better for some reason they don’t get all the dlc and the controls feel better on the 360. You can tell that it was just a quick port to make$. When companies actually put a quality product out there the people will buy it. But why should anybody spend their hard earned $60 for a game that is half assed with issues when that same person can get it for last or current gen systems without support and without the issues

    Reply
  2. *with support and without the issues

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Lost Password

Please enter your username or email address. You will receive a link to create a new password via email.