Bithell Games has announced that its narrative puzzle-adventure TRON: Identity will release on Nintendo Switch, news that was shared in this week’s Nintendo Direct presentation.
Set within the TRON universe, an unprecedented crime has been committed in a new Grid that has been forgotten by its creator and left alone to evolve without User intervention. The Repository is at the centre of this society, and, in the aftermath of a break-in, the Grid’s future hangs in the balance.
The adventure follows the detective program Query, which has been tasked with uncovering the secrets behind the mystery of what was taken and by whom. In a world built on unstable foundations and filled with whispered knowledge, you must question suspects and investigate your surroundings to learn the truth.
Your decisions will actively influence the story which has “a multitude of possible outcomes,” based on the words that you choose. With intriguing characters to interact with, you must decide whether to “ally with them, spurn them or even derezz them” – recovering their lost memories in your search for answers while puzzling your way through defragging Identity Discs.
The developer has outlined the game’s key features as below:
- A new extension of the TRON franchise: Unlock a never-before-seen server filled with new, original programs to join forces with or oppose.
- Beautiful, hand-crafted character art: Watch the story come to life through detailed, uniquely designed characters.
- Rich world-building and storytelling: In a brand-new Grid with its own nuanced structure, there is much to discover about the programs and places around you.
- Reveal memories: The truth of the case is hidden in the Identity Discs of those around you. Defrag their Discs to navigate the complex path to a solution in these unique puzzles.
- One mystery, many endings: Your choices will determine the outcome you see, with a protagonist that lets you take the reins and doesn’t corner you into one approach.
- Developed by the award-winning team behind Thomas Was Alone and Subsurface Circular: Brought to you by a team steeped in sci-fi stories, we are incredibly excited to share this game with you.
TRON: Identity will release “first for consoles” digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch in April 2023.