Crystalline Green has ushered in a new dawn for their tower defense effort, announcing that a new software update has become available for Totem Topple.
This is a direct reaction to player and critic feedback, delivering improvements and new features that broaden out the game’s content and gameplay. That adds elemental damage, improved AI behaviour, and graphical adjustments, as well as the chance for a second player to join in with a Wii Remote.
“Since Totem Topple launched, we’ve been hard at work, listening to feedback from players and reviewers, improving the game, and adding new features,” the developer shared in a press release. “Those changes are now live on the Wii U eShop.”
Crystalline Green has provided a full list of changes included in the software update, which are:
– Second player can join in, targeting enemies using a Wii Remote
– In Off-TV Play, players can target enemies by tapping on them on touch screen
– Fire/Water/Ice type enemies added. Enemies take more or less damage depending on their type and what type of arrow is fired at them.
– All turrets will shoot same damage type. Players can change that damage type a limited number of times in a given time period.
Boss Enemies and Damage Effects
– Totem pole can be set on fire or frozen by fire or ice boss enemies respectively
– Fire does damage over time and can spread
– Frozen heads take damage over time. Frozen beaks do not fire
Improved AI behaviour
– Adjusted hitboxes of enemies and arrows. Arrows no longer appear to pass through enemies
– Enemy spawn positions adjusted so that enemies aren’t killed off screen, nor spawn inside tower nor spawn near base of tower (giving player little chance of defeating them)
– Limit to number of heads. Players weren’t understanding why they were spawning super hard enemies when they went over 10 heads before, so took out super-hard enemies and just added in a hard limit on how high the totem pole can be at any one time
– Damage and Rate of fire adjusted so that difference between high and low rates are clearer to players
– Economy rebalanced
– Enemy difficulty, spawn groups, and spawn rates rebalanced
– Now runs at full HD 1080p where available (was 720p before)
– Simplified art makes enemies/heads easier to distinguish
– Revamped tutorial
– New font
– Button/text-box re-styling
In-Game feedback/UI improvements
– Indicators for which heads/wings are applying what bonuses
– Higher rate of fire leads to arrows also moving faster and have “go-faster stripes” come out the back of them
– When arrow is fired that does zero damage, it breaks in mid-air to indicate such
– High damage arrows are more brightly coloured
– Colour of arrow or wing/beak reflects damage type being fired
– Arrows with super-high damage produce fire/ice/water trails depending on damage type
– Tracks featuring native American singing
Fixed leaderboard bug
Totem Topple is available on the Nintendo eShop for Wii U in Europe, North America, Australia and New Zealand.