Nintendo has released a software update for Tetris 99, now seeing the iconic puzzler’s battle royale outing on update version 2.0.0.
This introduces the Invictus mode which is available to those that have achieved Tetris Maximum status, which means scores first place in the traditional online mode.
Daily Missions have also been added, that, once cleared, will reward you with in-game tickets that can be exchanged for custom themes. There are also new player icons that you can use to show off your accomplishments.
Those that have bought the Big Block downloadable content can also expect the 2P Share Battle mode, in which you can share Joy-Con controller with friends and family for a two-player game against each other and the CPU.
And then there’s Local Arena mode, where friends can get together in person to battle over local wireless multiplayer.
Tetris 99 is free to download for those that subscribe to the Nintendo Switch Online service – an important ingredient considering you will be facing other players online.
You will need speed, skill, and strategy to knock out your competition to become the last player standing. Garbage Blocks can be sent to clutter the screens of your opponents but you may also be targeted back. Those that you defeat will reward you with KO badges that may give you an advantage in future attacks.
Tetris 99 is now available exclusively for Nintendo Switch worldwide.
Tetris 99 Update Version 2.0.0 Patch Notes
Design / Functions
- Main Menu screen redesigned.
- New Tetris 99 Invictus mode added. It is unlocked by achieving Tetris Maximus in Tetris 99 mode.
- New daily missions added.
- New themes added. Complete daily missions to earn tickets that can be exchanged for new themes.
- New player icons added.
- Icon missions added. Complete icon missions to unlock new player icons.
- Staff credits added.
- Now supporting additional (paid) DLC modes Local Arena and 2P Share Battle. The new DLC is playable without a Nintendo Switch Online subscription. For details on DLC, please visit tetris99.nintendo.com.
- The gameplay has been improved by addressing a few bugs.