You play as Lumina, a young Teslamancer who becomes stranded in Wyrmheim after her airship was shot down. This remote and treacherous land lies to the North, in which you must explore a gigantic, abandoned tower that looms over a fjordside valley on a quest to help Lumina return home and back to her family.
With hand-drawn visuals that have seen the developer use pastels and muted tones “to bring visas of untamed nature to life” and steampunk visions of Old Europe that take inspiration from Scandinavian culture and folklore, you must once again harness the forgotten art of Teslamancy to succeed.
That will see you wield electromagnetic abilities in order to solve perplexing physics-based puzzles as Lumina explores winding caves and industrial chambers while outwitting the mysterious enemies and traps that await her.
“I have spent these last years of development dreaming of magnetic powers and steampunk Vikings,” explains Rain Games CEO and project lead Peter Wingaard Meldahl. “I am very happy with Teslagrad 2 as a sequel and am excited for players to get their hands on it this coming month through the demo [on Steam]!”
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features as below:
- Scandinavia Meets Metroidvania. The world’s first ‘Scandivania’ – a grandiose Steampunk-meets-Norse adventure accompanied by an orchestral soundtrack inspired by Nordic folk tones and electronic tracks.
- Magnetic Gameplay. Test your logic skills with perplexing puzzles based on real electromagnetic physics and enjoy a new twist with curved magnets!
- Master Fluid Motion. Perfect new and returning skills and use them to move quickly and skillfully through the world, combining Lumina’s abilities such as blinking, sliding, and magnetizing to build extra momentum.
- Epic Boss Battles. Use your skills to overcome boss fights which unlock new abilities and additional areas to explore.
- Visual Storytelling. Teslagrad 2 unfolds through what you see, with no text, voiceover or loading screens to interrupt gameplay.
- Explore an Abundant World. Discover rich and beautiful 2D hand-painted environments set in a wild and ravaged world full of hidden collectibles, secrets, and lore.
Teslagrad 2 will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide in Spring 2023.