Metalhead Software is the developer behind this game, in which more than 200 larger-than-life versions of fan-favourite former pros like Vladimir Guerrero, Johnny Damon, Ozzie Smith and Jason Giambi are ready to step onto the field and join the roster of beloved Super Mega League All-Stars.
The series continues with its “signature combination of arcade-inspired style and immersive gameplay depth returns and baseball becomes bigger and better than ever.” It returns with “the series’ most Mega presentation yet,” promising eye-popping new visuals for everything from character animations to stadiums along with crystal-clear audio upgrades from the dugout to the bleachers.
In response to community feedback, Super Mega Baseball 4 will introduce an entire lineup of new and fan-requested features such as an expanded trait system with Team Chemistry, Shuffle Draft, and six all-new stadiums. Its cross-platform multiplayer has also been expanded to include cross-generation matchmaking in Pennant Race and Online Leagues.
“Our team is really stoked to launch the newest chapter in the Super Mega Baseball series with the power of EA Sports behind us for the first time,” enthuses Metalhead Software studio director and senior producer Scott Drader. “Whether you’re a longtime SMB player or a new fan looking to play and connect with friends around the love for the sport, Super Mega Baseball 4 has something for everyone. We can’t wait for fans to play when the game launches on June 2.”
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features, which include:
- Baseball Legends: More than 200 baseball legends are integrated across Super Mega Baseball 4, alongside beloved Super Mega Baseball characters. Play in a league of baseball legends with teams organized by era, or mix things up with Shuffle Draft, a new feature that allows you to draft both Legends and Super Mega All-Stars to create a unique roster.
- New Platforms & Cross-Play: Super Mega Baseball 4 is expanding to PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S for the first time, including all-important cross-play in Pennant Race and Online Leagues on new platforms, as well as PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC.
- Top Community Requests: From the brand-new Shuffle Draft deckbuilding-inspired feature, to expanded player traits and a new team chemistry system that add a new layer of strategy; dozens of fan-requested upgrades – automatic walks and runners, two-way players, expanded bullpens, customizable free agent pools, and more – combine to add new gameplay depth.
- Visuals: Experience authentic, cinematic baseball, powered by new cameras, cutscene animations and lighting provides a true-to-life environment in every stadium.
- Audio: New crowd, voiceover, and foley audio give audio throughout the game a big upgrade from home plate to the bleachers. Plus, players will be immersed in the sounds of baseball with an all-new soundtrack with licensed and original music.
Super Mega Baseball 4 will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide on 2 June 2023.