Nintendo has released a new software update for Super Mario Party, seeing the minigame-packed party game now on version 1.1.0.
This surprise update has added more online multiplayer options to let you play with anyone on your Friends List who also owns the game, with support for online voice chat through the Nintendo Switch Online mobile app.
The following game modes are all playable online for up to four players:
- Mario Party: Choose from 20 playable characters and race across a range of boards with the roll of a dice. Take part in action-packed minigames to gain coins, and trade them for items or Stars. Finish the game with the most Stars – including ones taken from other players! – to be crowned the winner.
- Partner Party: Two players join forces and work together as a duo to grab the most Stars. Each player can move freely around the board in pursuit of Stars, paving the way for smart strategies and dramatic duels.
- Minigames: Seventy of the included 80 minigames are playable in online multiplayer, so friends and family can battle it out on dozens of fast-paced minigames.
Up to four friends or family members can all play together online, using one Joy-Con each; for instance, one of the two Joy-Con included with the Nintendo Switch console. Once every player has a Joy-Con, the possible play configurations are:
- Two players:
- Two Nintendo Switch consoles, with one player per console;
- Three players:
- Two Nintendo Switch consoles, with two players on one console, and player three on a second console;
- Three Nintendo Switch consoles, with one player per console.
- Four players:
- Two Nintendo Switch consoles, with two players on each console;
- Four Nintendo Switch consoles, with one player per console.
Super Mario Party is now available exclusively for Nintendo Switch worldwide.
Super Mario Party Update Version 1.1.0 Patch Notes
- You can now play the following modes over the internet:
- Mario Party
- Partner Party
- Free Play (Minigames)
Playing over the internet
- To play over the internet, select either Mario Party, Partner Party, or Minigames, then select Online Play.
- There are two ways to play over the internet: Friend Match, where you can play with Friends, and Private Game, where you can play with anyone using passwords.
- The combinations through which you can play over the internet are as follows:
- Up to 1 player per system (you can play with between 2 and 4 players)
- Up to 2 players per system (you can play with between 3 and 4 players)
- Playing over the internet supports the Invite Friend feature. If you select Invite Friend on the screen at which you’re waiting for rivals, your selected Friends can join from the Online Play Invites on their user-page icon in the top left of the HOME Menu.
- Online Mariothon does not support the Invite Friend feature.
- When playing over the internet, all 20 characters and all maps are available, regardless of your current in-game progress.
- When playing over the internet, 70 of the total 80 minigames are available to play.
- The following 10 minigames are not available when playing over the internet.
- Strike It Rich
- Time to Shine
- Take a Stab
- All-Star Swingers
- Rhythm and Bruise
- Pep Rally
- Wiped Out
- Fiddler on the Hoof
- Clearing the Table
- Baton and On
- Play data won’t be saved when playing over the internet.