Super Mario Galaxy 2 wins BAFTA for Best Gameplay
Last night saw the GAME British Academy Video Games Awards take place at the London Hilton, and Nintendo’s illustrious plumber was able to clinch the BAFTA for Best Gameplay, awarded to the ever popular Super Mario Galaxy 2.
The game was able to fend off competition from fellow nominees; Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood, God of War III, Heavy Rain, LIMBO and Mass Effect.
Unfortunately SMG2 was unable to secure victory in the Best Game, GAME Award for 2010, Original Music or Technical Innovation categories, with further disappointment ensuing for the Handheld category where neither Professor Layton and the Lost Future, Sonic Colours or Super Scribblenauts could stop iOS title Cut the Rope from taking the award.
The full list of award winners are as follows:
* Academy Fellowship – Peter Molyneux,
* Action – Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood,
* Artistic Achievement – God of War III,
* BAFTA One to Watch Award in association with Dare to Be Digital – Twang!,
* Best Game – Mass Effect 2,
* Family – Kinect Sports,
* GAME Award of 2010 – Call of Duty: Black Ops,
* Gameplay – Super Mario Galaxy 2,
* Handheld – Cut the Rope,
* Multiplayer – Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit,
* Original Music – Heavy Rain,
* Social Network Game – My Empire,
* Sports – F1 2010,
* Story – Heavy Rain,
* Strategy – Civilization V,
* Technical Innovation – Heavy Rain,
* Use of Audio – Battlefield: Bad Company 2.