Pitched as “a spell-based roguelike twin-stick shooter with a focus on replayability,” you play as an explorer who seeks out a mysterious ancient power within a ruined magical city – once built above a source of magic used by olden mages to power and transform themselves.
To dive ever deeper into the ruins, you will need to optimise your spells and magic abilities to build devastating combos to defeat the twisted monstrosities that you are confronted with – all in an effort to reach the centre of the Lone Ruin.
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features as below:
- A City Corrupted: What once was a buzzy civilisation and people living in harmony with the magic surrounding them has long since been driven mad and twisted beyond recognition by the very magic that used to help sustain them. What could have corrupted this city?
- Having heard the legends, you, a gifted spellcasting explorer, arrive at these hostile ruins a millenia later with the goal of seeking this ancient power and finally cleansing the city of the corruption it was consumed by all those years ago. The answer probably lies in the centre of Lone Ruin… if you can make it there.
- Outlive the Ruins: Fight your way through blood-pumping battles and more than a whole host of enemies and multiple bosses in several distinct, hellishly vibrant areas. Don’t let the horrifying creatures get the best of you!
- Spells Aplenty: It’s dangerous to go ‘lone, so pick the spell that best fits your play style to survive the hazards of the Lone Ruin. Maximise your destructive magical setup combo through the many upgrades and customisation options available as you venture deeper into the ruins via your chosen path.
- Survive the Chaos: Looking for a different challenge? Take on the Survival mode for a timed, wave-based game mode. How long can you survive against the rising difficulty and increasingly tougher foes?
- Hell is Other Demons: Developed by Cuddle Monster Games, the studio behind hit indie arena roguelike Hell is Other Demons (Metacritic: 85)
Lone Ruin will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide on 12th January 2023.