“We’re very pleased with how Souldiers is coming along overall, but we still have a few bugs to work out and we want to ensure that when we release the game – and ask consumers to spend their hard-earned money on it – that they’re getting a bug-free premium experience,” explains Retro Forge creative director Alberto Hernández.
“We know how much it sucks to have to wait longer, but we assure everyone that it will be worth the wait. We’re a small team, and developing a game of Souldiers’ scale, during a global pandemic no less, saw us overcoming many unforeseen challenges, so we really appreciate your patience as we polish up Souldiers into the refined retro experience you all deserve.”
In Souldiers, you will play as either a scout, caster or archer, battling for your freedom in Terragaya – a mystical land on the borderline between life and death.
The developer has looked to wrap “Metroidvania exploration, crunchy Soulslike combat and precision platforming into one gorgeous pixelated package,” challenging you to outwit enemies, solve head-scratching puzzles, upgrade your character and explore the game’s 16-bit world.
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features as below:
- Choose Your Class: Unleash the fury of your sword with the scout, summon the wrath of elements with the caster, or rain down arrows on your foes with the archer.
- Gripping Combat: Slash, parry and dodge your way through an ever-evolving roster of enemies, upgrading your skills and equipment to find a combat style that’s perfect for you.
- An Interconnected World: Discover a sprawling handcrafted landscape filled with treasures, tough-as-nails bosses and secret pathways.
- 16-Bit Sensation: Terragaya comes to life with vibrant world-class pixel art packed to the brim with details.
- Smart Moves: Solve environmental puzzles and leap from place to place using an ever-expanding moveset.
Souldiers will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide on 2nd June 2022.