Whether playing solo or with up to three friends locally or online, you are challenged to search for an “insurmountable treasure” and must brave dangerous dungeons inhabited by fierce creatures and bosses.
With an emphasis placed on combat, the gameplay has “strong influences” from Spelunky and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup while the art style uses “desaturated but warm colours with a bit of a gritty style” that takes inspiration from games such as Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre and Vagrant Story.
The publisher has outlined the game’s features as below:
- Support for up-to 4 players Local and Online Co-op: Join your friends and jump into the adventure;
- Class-based, Choose How You Play: Choose a unique class, skin, and background, then customize your character further as you play with your choice of unique class skills at each level;
- Procedurally Generated Dungeons: With procedurally generated levels, no two runs are ever the same, allowing for countless hours of gameplay;
- Permadeath and permanent specializations unlock system: As players progress further in the adventure, they will count with a broader range of playstyles, their characters won’t be technically stronger but instead their experience and learnings will make their skills improve over time;
- Enchanted Items: Discover magic items that bestow powerful enchantments and game changing abilities;
- Discover Secrets: Keep track of unlocked classes, backgrounds, music, and more in the Book of Secrets;
- Explore a Rich World: Explore four unique areas each with their own set of dangers such as monsters, unique bosses, and traps;
- Tough, but Fair: Play a game designed for players looking for a challenging but rewarding experience.
Vagante will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide on 27th January 2022.