After their worldwide launch last Saturday, Nintendo have announced that Pokémon X and Pokémon Y have achieved combined sales of more than 4 million units across Europe, Japan, and The Americas.
As the first global release for the franchise, it has easily become the fastest-selling Nintendo 3DS title and is also tracking ahead of last year’s Pokémon Black 2 and Pokémon White 2 by more than 70 percent
“The early response to Pokémon X and Pokémon Y not only reaffirms the ongoing passion of Pokémon fans, but also indicates that an entirely new generation of gamers are eager to experience the franchise for themselves,” affirmed Nintendo’s president Satoru Iwata.
Nintendo’s much beloved Pokémon series has now shifted more than 245 million games sold worldwide, with five sets combined now exceeding 10 million units sold worldwide, with three surpassing 15 million units.
For comparison’s sake, that list includes:
* Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl (Nintendo DS, 2007), 17.63 Million
* Pokémon Ruby and Pokémon Sapphire (Game Boy Advance, 2003), 16.22 Million
* Pokémon Black and Pokémon White (Nintendo DS, 2011), 15.42 Million
* Pokémon HeartGold and Pokémon SoulSilver (Nintendo DS, 2010), 12.67 Million
* Pokémon FireRed and Pokémon LeafGreen (Game Boy Advance, 2004), 12 Million