Night School Studio has confirmed a release date for its mind-bending Oxenfree II: Lost Signals on Nintendo Switch.
This highly anticipated sequel to the award-winning Oxenfree is set five years after the events of the original game and will star an all-new cast of characters.
It will follow the story of Riley Poverly, an environmental researcher who returns to her hometown Camena to look into mysterious radio frequency signals that are causing disturbances in electronic equipment throughout the town. This leads her to stumble upon a paranormal mystery around ghostly happenings on the nearby Edwards Island.
“With Oxenfree II: Lost Signals, we wanted to tap into the essence and world that made the original game so special, while immersing players in a brand new story with even higher stakes,” explains Night School co-founder and studio director Sean Krankel. “This game has been a labor of love, and we can’t wait for players to embody Riley, shaping her through life altering choices and overcoming supernatural challenges that threaten to destroy her future.”
The developer has outlined the game’s key features, which include:
- Your choices matter: Shape everything through your conversations and dialogue choices. Forge a deep friendship with an old acquaintance from high school or opt to ignore a lost fisherman in need. Your choices impact who Riley becomes, your relationships, and the story options available to you at every turn.
- Start chatter from anywhere: Use an all-new walkie talkie conversation system to chat with contacts and uncover useful insights about the mysteries of Camena. Ask for info, check in with the locals, or completely ignore them. It’s your call to make. And, it has consequences.
- Stop Parentage: Five years ago on nearby Edwards Island, a few teenagers unwittingly opened a portal, creating a rift between realities and timelines. Now, members of a mysterious cult-like group called Parentage are deliberately trying to open a new portal to pull something out. Who are they? What do they want? Are they trying to contact ghosts?
- Tune in to the radio: Ghostly signals are piercing through the frequencies of Camena. Tap into the eerie sounds and static using Oxenfree’s signature radio mechanic. You’ll communicate with the supernatural, manipulate the world, and travel to the past by tuning into time tears: unnatural fissures in the time-space continuum.
- Save everyone and everything: Your future was on the line in Oxenfree and those stakes are even higher in Oxenfree II. Explore, climb, and rappel across Camena’s beautifully treacherous landscape. Take risks and see where it takes you. It might be dangerous. But it could also save the future. Not only for Riley but for everyone.
Oxenfree II: Lost Signals will release on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide on 12th July 2023.