Despite May’s retail sales having grown by 4 percent year-on-year in the United States, Nintendo’s software is absent from the top 10 chart. However it can at least be reasoned that it was a quiet month for the company’s release schedule, with only Disney Art Academy having launched as a Nintendo 3DS exclusive.
The NPD Group attributed such sales growth to prominent launches such as Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, Doom, Overwatch and Battleborn, which secured the highest positions in the chart respectively with Grand Theft Auto V rounding them out in fifth place.
“New launches were a major driver of the growth seen in May 2016 compared to May 2015,” NPD analyst Liam Callahan shared. “Collectively, May 2016 new launches sold nearly double in unit sales and 108 percent more in dollars as new launches last May. These May 2016 launches represented 51 percent of overall new physical software sales for the month.”
1. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (PlayStation 4)
2. Doom (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC)
3. Overwatch (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC)
4. Battleborn (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC)
5. Grand Theft Auto V (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC)
6. Minecraft (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, 360, PlayStation 3)
7. NBA 2K16 (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, 360, PlayStation 3)
8. Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PlayStation 4, 360, PlayStation 3, PC)
9. MLB 16: The Show (PlayStation 4, PS3)
10. Dark Souls III (PlayStation 4, Xbox One)