Nintendo has confirmed a release date for Minecraft’s Steve and Alex in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
The mascot brawler’s next DLC fighter will be made available on Tuesday 13th October around the world, which, for Europe, will be on Wednesday 14th October given the difference in time zone.
This is the second Challenger Pack in the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Fighters Pass Vol. 2, which will include a new stage and seven music tracks from the Minecraft series.
When selecting this new fighter, you will be able to choose between a Steve or Alex skin that each has three colour variations. You can also choose to look like a Zombie or Enderman character.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate director Masahiro Sakurai broke down the characters in a 45-minute presentation. But, each character will have the same set of moves:
- The Basics: Like in Minecraft, players can hold down the attack button to walk while repeatedly swinging a sword, axe or pickaxe. These attacks have short range, but wide reach. These tools can also be used for abilities new to the Super Smash Bros. franchise: Mine, Craft and Create Block.
- Mine: While battling, Steve and Alex can use their tools to dig into the ground or walls of each stage to extract materials. The materials found – dirt, wood, stone, iron, gold and diamond – will depend on the type of surface Steve and Alex dig into. Dig into the tree-filled Kongo Jungle, for example, and players will find an abundance of wood, while iron can be discovered on the Corneria stage.
- Craft: After mining, players can then craft using the materials they collected. Steve and Alex’s tools have limited durability and can break, so crafting new tools is vital to maintaining an advantage on the battlefield. By standing in front of a crafting table, which will appear on the stage, players can use materials to craft these tools – the more valuable the material, the more powerful the tool!
- Create Block: Another move that Steve and Alex can use is Create Block. By activating this ability, players will, well, create a block! These blocks can be stacked and strategically placed as defensive maneuvers. Blocks also use materials, like crafting, so players will have to continue to mine to maintain their material supply.
- Final Smash: Steve and Alex’s explosive Final Smash is called House of Boom. After destroying the Smash Ball, players will summon a giant piston, which sends opponents flying into the House of Boom. From there, the iconic Creepers from Minecraft will set off an explosion, dealing massive damage.
- Minecraft World: The stage included in this Fighters Pass Vol. 2 pack is Minecraft World, which consists of six different areas inspired by the Minecraft game. The destructible areas randomly change for each match. When battling on this stage, players will experience a day and night cycle, with zombies and skeletons emerging at night to terrify players.
- Music Tracks: Since the music in Minecraft is meant to be soothing and relaxing to inspire creativity and building, the new music tracks selected for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate are from more action-packed games in the Minecraft franchise, like Minecraft Earth and Minecraft Dungeons.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is now available exclusively for Nintendo Switch worldwide.