Miitomo Will Be Shut Down On May 9th
Nintendo has announced that Miitomo will soon be shut down and will no longer be available from Wednesday 9th May, coming to an end two years after it was released.
The first smartphone app that Nintendo had released for iOS and Android devices, Miitomo had looked to spark one-of-a-kind conversations between Mii characters created by the user and their friends.
“Miitomo will no longer be available as of Wednesday 9th May 2018,” Nintendo confirms. “As a big thank you to everyone who has enjoyed playing Miitomo, we’ve prepared some special events so you can continue having fun until the very end!”
That will see users receive Miitomo coins and game tickets as daily login bonuses, and be encouraged to share their favourite Miifoto on Twitter as well as see all questions in Answer Central ask users about their favourite Miitomo memories.
“Thank you to all our dedicated users for contributing to Miitomo,” the company added. “There’s only a short time left to enjoy playing Miitomo, so please make the most of it by participating in these events!”
What Happens After The Miitomo Service Ends
- If you launch the app after the end of service on Wednesday 9th May 2018, you’ll see a message informing you that service has ended. You will no longer be able to use any of the app’s features.
- You will no longer be able to see your answers or messages in the app.
- You will no longer be able to use items you’ve obtained in the app, such as clothing items, wallpapers, or posters.
- You can transfer your Mii character to your Nintendo Account by linking it to Miitomo. (Its personality and other information will not be carried over.)
- Sidekick Mii characters will be deleted. You can keep Sidekick Mii characters by saving them as a QR Code before the end of service on Wednesday 9th May 2018 12:00 AM (PDT). They can then be transferred to Mii Maker on the Nintendo 3DS family of systems or the Wii U console.
- You will not be able to view Miifotos, including Miifotos you have shared to your social media channels. If you want to save any Miifotos, you must save them to your smart device before Wednesday 9th May 2018 12:00 AM (PDT).
- Miitomo-themed icons and clothing items used in your Nintendo Account or the Super Mario Run game will not display after the service has ended.