This Metroidvania-inspired adventure is pitched as “a story-driven, side-scroller action RPG set in a universe of gorgeous paint strokes and inevitable tragedy.”
Mankind has surrendered the world to the monsters. Now hiding behind the “walls of brick and palisades of ignorance” that were constructed by their leaders, joy and delight remain out of reach to the masses. Not the world that you were promised, you must journey by night to take it back.
That will see you explore a world in decline, having succumbed to the damaging effects of Entropy. You will be challenged to defeat vicious enemies and deadly bosses while having the chance to meet new allies and make “harsh moral choices.”
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features as below:
- Explore a universe of gorgeous paint strokes: Immerse yourself in a rich, dark, painterly 2.5D world as the epic and twisted music composed by Christos Antoniou brings this atmospheric world to life.
- Delve into a story-driven dark fantasy adventure: Leave the sanctuary of the Crimson City and travel through a vast, interconnected world that will take you from dark forests to deadly swamps, burning deserts and more.
- Enter the dark realm of Entropy: Acquire the legendary Witch Lantern and enter the dark realm of Entropy through tears in the fabric of reality.
- Encounter horrific monsters and terrifying creatures: Add fallen foes to your bestiary as you battle distinctive enemies and unique, deadly bosses to discover what really lurks in the shadows.
- Upgrade your toolset: Find artisans to join your growing caravan to unlock new upgrades. Grow herbs to brew beneficial potions and craft powerful weapons, armour and trinkets to help you along the way.
- Play your way: Master the punishing side-scrolling action as one of multiple unique classes and customize your character’s active skills through a deep and rewarding character development system. Complete the game and start anew on countless NG+ difficulty levels.
“Mandragora is a genre-blending mix of everything we love about our favourite games, which made it a challenge to find the right publisher who understands our vision for a title that doesn’t fit into just one box,” explains Primal Game Studio creative director Istvan Zsuffa. “That’s why we’re so glad to be working with Marvelous Europe to help bring our game to the players on all their favourite platforms. We’re thankful for all the fan support so far and can’t wait to continue this journey together!”
Marvelous Europe managing director Marc Melton adds: “We’re thrilled to bring Primal Game Studio’s vision to the world. Mandragora is a fantastic project, with huge potential, marking a new step in how we work with development studios and we’re excited to have found such great partners.”
Mandragora will release at retail and digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide, with a release window unconfirmed.