2K and The LEGO Group have revealed LEGO 2K Drive, which will release on Nintendo Switch in the coming months.
Visual Concepts is the developer behind what is pitched as “the ultimate AAA driving adventure game,” which is the first release in a multi-title partnership between 2K and the LEGO Group that promises to “evolve the iconic LEGO games experience fans know and love in exciting new ways.”
With the chance to build any vehicle, drive anywhere and become a LEGO racing legend, you can expect a gameplay experience that has looked to combine “the best elements of open-world driving and fast-paced competitive racing, while introducing a diverse vehicle customisation system.”
The team has collaborated with supercar and hypercar company McLaren Automotive to bring the McLaren Solus GT and McLaren F1 LM – which have just been released in a LEGO Speed Champions double-pack set “to help celebrate 60 years since McLaren was founded by racer and engineer Bruce McLaren” – to the world of Bricklandia.
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features, which include:
- A Story in a Vast Open World: Players will journey across Bricklandia’s multiple unique biome regions as they compete against a series of charismatic rivals with hopes of one day winning the coveted Sky Cup Trophy. In LEGO 2K Drive, players choose how they want to play, with a wide-open world to explore full of racing, minigames, challenges, collectibles, things to destroy, and well-known vehicles from LEGO themes like City, Creator, Speed Champions and more.
- High-Octane LEGO Racing: Racing in LEGO 2K Drive is a fast-paced, off-the-wall experience as players battle across a broad range of tracks while taking advantage of unique power-up abilities that can transform a player’s standing in the race with the touch of a button.
- Unique Customisation: LEGO 2K Drive introduces a diverse customisation system that allows players to build their own vehicles to suit their tastes, with over 1,000 unique LEGO pieces available over the course of their adventure, in addition to a wealth of color designs, stickers, flairs, and more.
- Play Solo or Together: LEGO 2K Drive offers robust co-op and thrilling competitive multiplayer to enjoy with others. Play with family and friends via local, 2-person split-screen or match online with other intrepid racers of similar skill levels.
“Video games have long been an important way our fans experience the magic of the LEGO System-in-Play, and 2K’s strong track record of delivering quality, innovative titles for a broad range of audiences makes them the perfect partner to create the next iconic AAA LEGO games,” enthuses LEGO Game head Remi Marcelli. “Beginning with LEGO 2K Drive, we’re excited for fans to experience a fresh new take that builds on the LEGO humour and fun fans have come to expect.”
Visual Concepts president Greg Thomas adds: “With the history the LEGO brand holds, we were very conscious of the responsibility we had to both our partners and longtime fans of LEGO play, while still thinking about how we can bring something new and unique to a LEGO title. For LEGO 2K Drive, we assembled a best-in-class team of game makers who poured their hearts into an unforgettable experience we can’t wait to share with fans.”
2K president and CEO David Ismailer adds: “The LEGO Group is an iconic brand with decades of innovative consumer experiences, and we were thrilled at the opportunity to partner with them as we continue to expand the 2K portfolio to new audiences worldwide. LEGO 2K Drive is an incredible first step in our multi-title commitment to delivering new, groundbreaking LEGO games.”
LEGO 2K Drive will be available in three editions, which are:
- The Standard Edition will be available for £49.99 (€59.99).
- The Awesome Edition will be available for £84.99 (€99.99) and includes a new vehicle, vehicle flair, and an in-game LEGO minifigure. Players will also receive the Year 1 Drive Pass, which will introduce an all-new biome, in addition to four individual post-launch seasons of Drive Pass content, each with new vehicles and themes.
- The Awesome Rivals Edition will be available for £99.99 (€119.99) and includes multiple new vehicles, a vehicle flair, and in-game LEGO minifigures. Players will also receive the Year 1 Drive Pass, which will introduce an all-new biome, in addition to four individual post-launch seasons of Drive Pass content, each with new vehicles and themes.
LEGO 2K Drive will release at retail and digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide on 19th May 2023.