Gearbox Publishing and Magic Design Studios have announced that the “darkly charming” hand-drawn 2D action roguelike Have A Nice Death will release on Nintendo Switch, news that was shared in this week’s Indie World showcase.
You play as Death, Death Incorporated’s founder and CEO. The underworld organisation is responsible for processing souls in the afterlife, and, as its supreme leader, you must explore procedurally-generated departments at the company’s headquarters – rounding up and rehabilitating rogue employees who have been ignoring company protocol and snatching up far too many souls on Earth.
It will be a difficult task to get the department bosses – called Sorrows – and their minions under control, requiring multiple runs to complete as you wield weapons, spells and special skills to succeed.
“To bring Have A Nice Death to Nintendo Switch has been the number one request from our community, and we’re thrilled to finally have announced this news with Nintendo through today’s Indie World showcase,” enthuses Magic Design Studios lead game designer Simon Dutertre.
“We’ve poured our heart and soul (and a lot of coffee) into this new adventure and we can’t wait to release the full game this March. We thank our PC fans who have been playing Have A Nice Death in Early Access and providing much valuable feedback. We hear you and keep it up! For our future Nintendo Switch players, we can’t wait for you to join us in Death Incorporated!”
The publisher has broken down the game’s key features as below:
- Welcome to Death Incorporated: Discover and explore the seven darkly-charming, procedurally-generated departments of Death Inc., where you’ll meet a diverse cast of memorable characters—like your affable pumpkin-headed assistant, Pump Quinn—who are always willing to share the latest office gossip.
- Reap What You Sow: Sharpen your skills (and scythe) through fast-paced hack n’ slash combat, utilizing over 70 unique weapons and spells you can find and upgrade to create devastating combinations.
- Death Never Sleeps: Since Death can’t die, use what you’ve learned and earned to overcome the numerous minions and bosses in each department of Death Incorporated… over and over. A performance review after every run guarantees that you’ll unlock interesting items and upgrades that will help you progress on your journey.
- When Life Gives You Curses: Taking more power for yourself is a controversial move in Death Incorporated’s company culture. For instance, adopting a Curse upgrade for yourself might result in the Labor Inspector granting your subordinates enhanced powers, or worse, raising the cost of koffee and other items that are vital to your work output.
- Prove You’re the Best Underworld Boss: After completing your first adventure across Death, Inc., there’s still work that needs to be done to prove you’re the best boss there is. From completing special challenges and trying out recently-unlocked difficulty modes that feature unique modifiers to earning rewards to complete your Pitbook by getting all the weapons, spells, curses and upgrades – your “to-do” list is far from completed.
- You Call the Shots: Make your playthrough the most optimal experience that’s right for you, boss. With various accessibility options at your disposal, including adjusting sound and language settings, and full controller remapping functionality support — you’re free to fully customize your experience before hacking’n’scything away.
Have A Nice Death will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide on 22nd March 2023.