Golden Joystick Awards honour Satoru Iwata with Lifetime Achievement Award
The 33rd annual Golden Joystick Awards today paid tribute to Satoru Iwata, posthumously honouring the late Nintendo president with the Lifetime Achievement award.
Iwata sadly passed away in July, but is credited for helping drive Nintendo’s success with the Wii and Nintendo DS – systems that helped to break down boundaries in attract a far wider audience to the gaming industry.
Danny Wallace hosted the awards ceremony, which was held at indig02 at London’s 02 Arena – Splatoon scoring welcome success in being crowned Best Family Game and Best Nintendo Game.
With more than 9 million votes cast, CD Projekt RED’s The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt was the biggest victor – securing five awards for Best Storytelling, Best Visual Design, Best Gaming Moment, Ultimate Game of the Year and Studio of the Year.
The full list of winners are as follows…
- Best Original Game sponsored by GamesRadar+ – Bloodborne
- Best Storytelling – The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Best Visual Design sponsored by 3D World – The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Best Audio sponsored by DTS – Ori and the Blind Forest
- Best Multi-Player – GTA Online
- Best Indie Game sponsored by PC Gamer Weekender – Kerbal Space Program
- Best Family Game – Splatoon
- Best Mobile Game – Fallout Shelter
- Innovation of the Year sponsored by techradar – First-person mode in GTA 5
- Best Gaming Moment sponsored by Absolute Radio – Bloody Baron quest in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Gaming Personality sponsored by Kotaku UK – PewDiePie
- eSports Icon sponsored by Gfinity – Counter-Strike GO – Anders Blume
- Studio of the Year sponsored by Hype (Edge Conference) – CD Projekt RED
- Best Gaming Platform sponsored by Digital Spy – Steam
- Best Gaming Performance – Ashly Burch as Chloe in Life is Strange
- Best PlayStation Game sponsored by Official PlayStation Magazine – Bloodborne
- Best Nintendo Game sponsored by Gamesmaster Magazine – Splatoon
- Best PC Game sponsored by PC Gamer – GTA 5
- Best Xbox Game sponsored by Official Xbox Magazine – Ori and the Blind Forest
- Most Wanted Game sponsored by The Sun – Fallout 4
- Ultimate Game of the Year – Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- Lifetime Achievement – Satoru Iwata
- Playfire Most Played – GTA 5
- Critics Choice – Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
- Breakthrough Award – Her Story