The developer has described the game as its “biggest and most ambitious” yet, which will challenge you to swing as a lost gibbon as it sets out on a dangerous journey into unknown lands in search of a new home amid rising devastation.
Built around a narrative that captures the struggle of endangered creatures around the world, you must master the ape’s art of swinging from branch-to-branch at high speed. That will require that you build momentum, pull off spectacular somersaults and launch yourself even higher and further into the air with help from your fellow apes.
While you will have the chance to feel “the thrill and exhilaration of life in an untamed jungle,” the game will also deal with real-world environmental issues such as deforestation, poaching and climate change that threatens the life of gibbons.
The developer has outlined the game’s key features as below:
- Master free-flowing dynamic movement based on brachiation, the way real apes swing through the trees;
- Build momentum through dazzlingly acrobatic jumps, including launching from another gibbon’s hands in mid-air;
- Experience the affecting tale of a family of gibbons trying to survive amid an encroaching human threat;
- Play through an hour-long adventure in story mode, or race to freedom through a procedurally generated jungle in liberation mode;
- Stunning 2D hand-painted visuals that breathe life into a rapidly vanishing world;
- Explore varied environments, from the wild jungles of Southeast Asia to the hectic human world beyond.
Gibbon: Beyond The Trees will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch “later this year.”