This sees intrepid ruin explorer Renata and her best friend talking frog-gun return in an experience “filled with love and nostalgia for the PlayStation/Nintendo 64 era of gaming.”
Three years have passed since the original game, in which Renata has spent time with Hatter and her former rival-turned-best-pal Jake every summer. However, after Jake’s town is attacked by the nasty Fly Bois under General Fluff’s command, they must set out to thwart their vengeful plan to bring Beelzebub, the Lord of the Flies, back to the world.
The developer has looked to build on the original game’s strengths for this retro throwback platformer, which will also act as a standalone sequel.
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features, which include:
- The Emperor’s New Moves: Building upon the original, FROGUN ENCORE features an expanded move-set and greater agility for our heroes. Catapult off ziplines, twirl and double jump, and launch yourself skywards by shooting grabbed enemies and objects downwards! Renata and Jake have all grown up, and they’ve learnt the tricks to boot.
- Around The World: Flying on Hatter’s new plane, you’ll discover how Renata’s world looks beyond the ruins of the Temple of Beelzebub, from the evil lord’s home region of Mosquia, to the dry dunes of Sandalia, or the thermal lakes of Yushi. You might even run into some old friends, and even buy hats from them instead of from Hatter!
- Company In Tow: Jake (and his nimble-tongued friend, Snatch!) are along for the ride from the start – again improving on the original, where multiplayer was only available for Versus arenas, Frogun Encore is completely playable in local co-op for the main story game mode. Playable in either single-player or co-op, a second player can jump in at any point during a stage! Bounce off each other’s heads, race to the end, or collaborate to get every bit of treasure along the way and defeat bosses together. It’s couch coop like in the old times! And with double the trouble, what kind of silliness will you get up to in photo mode?
- Collect ‘Em All: Frogun Encore will fully delight and satiate your need for loot, with each level being stuffed absolutely to the brim with collectibles – grab coins to unlock new cosmetic hats and costumes, collect journal notes to learn more about the world of Frogun and General Fluff’s plan, test your skills to receive reward emblems, and more!
- Easy To Pick Up And Play: Knowing the original Frogun isn’t a necessity to be able to enjoy Encore! New and returning players alike will be able to sink their teeth into the challenges and wealth of content the game has to offer.
Frogun Encore will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide in Summer 2023.