The series promises to bring “all the magic of the originals combined with quality-of-life upgrades while staying faithful to the retro design of these masterpieces,” and will include:
- Final Fantasy: Earth, fire, water, wind… The light that once shone within the four Crystals was lost. Darkness covered the land, until the only hope for humanity rested in legends past. Become the Warriors of Light and embark on your own journey to restore power to the Crystals and save the world. Switch between classes to improve your characters. Traverse the wide world with your airship and other vessels. Return to the game that started it all.
- Final Fantasy II: Our epic tale begins with four young souls orphaned during the struggle between the Palamecian Empire and the rebel army. On their journey, the youths join forces with the white wizard Minwu, Prince Gordon of Kashuan, Leila the pirate, and many others. Behold the beautiful and sometimes tragic twists of fate that await you on your adventure. Final Fantasy II introduced a unique skill level system that strengthens different attributes of the characters depending on their fighting style instead of leveling up. Use the key terms you learn in conversation to unlock new information and progress in the story. This innovative game series takes an ambitious turn in this second instalment in the Final Fantasy series!
- Final Fantasy III: With the power of light nearly eclipsed by the power of darkness, only the crystals’ four chosen adventurers can save the world. Experience the iconic job changing system first introduced in Final Fantasy III – switch jobs at will and use various abilities as you progress in the game. Change into a variety of classes like Warrior, Monk, White Mage, Black Mage, Dragoon, Evoker, or even call monsters to do your bidding with as a Summoner.
- Final Fantasy IV: The story follows Cecil, a dark knight and captain of the Red Wings, who decides to fight against the tyrannical Kingdom of Baron with his trusted friend and his paramour at his side, and later join forces with Kain the dragoon, Rosa the white mage, Rydia the summoner, and many more skilled allies. Final Fantasy IV set the standard for role-playing games with its diverse cast of characters, deep plot and real-time Active Time Battle (ATB) system, where time moves even during battle, giving the players an exciting sense of urgency.
- Final Fantasy V: Final Fantasy V presents the story of a young man and his Chocobo, who find themselves drawn toward friends that will change their destiny. When the crystals that balance the powers of the world are threatened, the king hastens to the rescue…only to go missing. Well-regarded for its deep and customizable job system, which allows players to freely select jobs for their characters to master, Final Fantasy V supports many different playstyles and expands on the iconic Active Time Battle system, which made its debut in Final Fantasy IV.
- Final Fantasy VI: Regarded as one of the most beloved games in the Final Fantasy series, Final Fantasy VI features a robust roster of playable characters, each with their own stories, goals and destinies. Players will be able to customize their party members’ abilities, magic spells and summons with the acclaimed magicite system.
Final Fantasy through Final Fantasy VI can be purchased individually or as a bundle digitally, and a physical edition will be made available exclusively from the Square Enix Store.
The Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster series will release at retail and digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide in Spring 2023.