Set aboard the Zephyr, humanity’s first-generation ship is on a voyage to a distant, mysterious star. You play as Stella, who was born on the ship 24 years ago and recently inherited her father’s role as Chief of Security. You will need to uncover the conspiracy that threatens to disrupt the Zephyr’s social order and choose whether to put an end to it or align with them.
The developer has looked to create “a meaningful, space-faring story laced with thought-provoking dilemmas and rich sci-fi themes,” in which you will need to re-evaluate your moral compass to make increasingly touch decisions as the situation around you spirals out of control.
The publisher has outlined the game’s key features as below:
- A New Type of Experience: Between Horizons merges investigative-style gameplay with a branching sci-fi story in an ever-expanding Metroidvania-style environment
- Solving cases for yourself: The flexible evidence system lets players assign clues to cases, confront ship denizens about them, and submit any case with evidence players have connected to it. Everything found on the ship is connected, but figuring out how — that’s the challenge.
- At What Cost?: Underneath the game’s exciting and plausible sci-fi plot lies a number of thought-provoking problems inviting players to weigh intergenerational responsibility against personal freedom
- Getting New Perspective: Timeless pixel art mixed with 3D environments and compelling visual effects come together in Between Horizons, creating a unique, beautiful art style
- Failure is Very Much an Option: There are no second chances — submitting wrong solutions means the story will go on and players live with the consequences. A new and improved auto-save system will make sure there is no going back, as the story branches and endings are based on player decisions, none of which can be taken back.
Between Horizons will release digitally on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch worldwide in Q4 2023.